EICKnotes for Dec 2, 2013
Interesting stuff from today's news.
Lots of news and opinions out this weekend looking at the lack of progress in increasing the economic well being of the middle class. Everyone from Pope Francis to Russell Brand is pointing out how little progress the middle has made economically in the last 30 years.
- TO THE BISHOPS, CLERGY, CONSECRATED PERSONS AND THE LAY FAITHFUL (Pope Francis)
- Russell Brand: we deserve more from our democratic system (Guardian)
- The Forty-Year Slump (American Prospect)
- A higher minimum wage is the tonic America needs (FT)
The big wall street firms are starting to send out their Ideas for 2014 lists. Here are some of the first ones I’ve seen:
- Morgan Stanley’s 10 Big Macro Investment Ideas for 2014 (Business Insider)
- First two Goldman Ideas (Business Insider)
Amazon announced on 60 Minutes they are working on drone delivery. Seems to be about 5 years away and lots of issues to work out but this will eventually happen. Not everyone on the web thinks that it is going to work.
- Some simple economics of drone delivery (Digitopoly)
- For those who haven’t seen the promotional video for Amazon's drone delivery.
Finally, a great ad for Google in India & Pakistan is going viral for good reasons. (It's a true story and would have been replicated millions of times during the partition years).